Role: Engineering Manager – I, II
Experience: 14+ yrs
What will you be doing?
Engineering Manager (EM – I) will be assigned to a project and will play role of Development Lead of a module/ initiative/ project delivery (which consists of multiple components/ features).
The Engineering Manager (EM – I) will lead a product development team, building and working on enterprise grade software systems on top of the object oriented (C++, TDL) development stack. The Software Development TL will provide technical and team leadership through coaching and mentorship.
Key Values :
- Understands and appreciates the bigger picture and asks appropriate questions on why, what, and how of decisions relating to their scope of work
- Understands that empowering the managers to make decisions and make them accountable for their decisions is critical for their development
Engineering Manager (EM – II) are primarily responsible for leading a module/project delivery for a release. With their earlier experience and competency as Engineering Manager (EM – I), they are expected to handle more complex assignments and lead code design. In terms of scope, Engineering Manager (EM – II) are expected to mentor TL/STL & Engineering Manager (EM – I), and complete planning & execution of assigned project/ module.
Key areas, where EM is expected to spend his/her time:
- Spend time in providing adequate work clarity, and direction to the team
- Spend time in reviewing progress, dependencies, and risks
- Spend time in regular team alignment and crafting the communication
- Work with the team/cross-team to mitigate risks and/or dependencies
- Spend time in budget planning
An Engineering Manager (EM – I/ II) are expected to perform the following tasks
As a Engineering Manager (EM – I)
- Ability to understand design & architecture for the entire module/component/sub-system.
- Manages and leads the team (TL, STL, developer and senior developers)
- Drives project execution (IR) that includes the planning, execution and completion of key activities including Code Design, Coding, and test specification
- Understands requirements and participates / contributes in requirement analysis and problem expansion.
- Continuously enhance product/domain knowledge for the Lead as well as for the Team
- Sprint planning, Estimation
- Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
- Communicates project goals and deadlines to team
- Motivates team members and accesses their performance
- Continuously enhance product/domain knowledge
As a Engineering Manager (EM – II):
- All tasks as expected from Engineering Manager – Here scope as well as complexity of assigned tasks will be more. Should display ability to play as back up Senior Engineering Manager. Work closely with Senior Engineering Manage/Associate Director and assist him in planning and executions.
- As a mentor
- Plan, prioritize, assign, track work with team of SW engineers, this will include estimation of tasks, assignment, and continuous monitoring and support to team
- Track work progress and quality through efficient review & acceptance frameworks
- Ensure team delivery high quality code as per spec
- Monitor the development process to drive output quality
- Understand Technical specifications and complete the assignments given with guidance
- Deliver high quality formally tested code
- Follows prevailing practices regarding documentation, coding standards, development tools
- Understand and use the overall development approach of the organization
- Create low level design (as part of code design) – flowcharts, layouts, sequence, interaction, class diagrams, charts
Who are we looking for?
- Experienced programmer, strong ability to understand design and architecture and lead team to drive the implementation.
- Ability to perform code review.
- Good knowledge of Data Structures, Algorithms, Database, Object Oriented Programming, OS Concepts, Software Requirement Analysis, Design and Architecture, Software Testing
- White box testing techniques
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and mentor a team of STL/ TL, SW engineers and senior SW engineers
- TallyWay of Engineering – Sound knowledge on Code design. Sprint planning, Backlog management, Estimation technique